We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
- Chicken soup
- Chicken vegetable soup
- Chicken and sweetcorn soup
Freshly fried strips of corn tortilla garnish this chicken, black bean and corn soup seasoned with cumin, chilli powder and oregano.
146 people made this
- 1 dessertspoon vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 750ml (1 1/4 pints) chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (400g) tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (340g) tin sweetcorn, drained
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 100g (4 oz) salsa
- handful chopped fresh coriander
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:30min
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add half of the tortilla strips, stirring often, until crisp. Drain on kitchen roll. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips and set aside.
- Add the stock, cumin, chilli powder and oregano to the pot. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the beans, sweetcorn, chicken and salsa. Reduce heat to low, stir and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the coriander and half of the reserved tortilla strips. Ladle into individual bowls and garnish each bowl with some of the remaining strips.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(187)
Reviews in English (150)
This recipe was so quick and easy but didn't taste like it. It was just like the soup that is served at a local Mexican restaurant that my husband and I frequent. I was so fond of that soup that I have asked my daughter to consider working there part time just to get the recipe; now she is off the hook.I added a 4oz can of chopped chili peppers to spice it up, and since I like a more brothy soup, I will increase the broth, spices, and salsa the next time I make it.-16 May 2003
This was extremely easy and excellent. I scaled it to make 20 servings for a party and it was great. I used less cilantro and topped with mexican cheese. I also used store bought tortillas for ease. Definitely would make again.-30 Jan 2002
This is a very easy recipe to make and very very flavorful. I highly recommend it to Tortilla soup lovers.To save time, use regular tortilla chips. As good and much quicker.-13 Nov 2006